ACCELERATE2030GLOBAL FINALIST PROFILE
“Biolive is a biotechnology company that produces and sells antimicrobial and antioxidant bioplastic granules made from olive seeds. We have a mission to make a positive on the planet.”
Petroleum-based plastics are harmful to human health and the environment. Every year, humans produce millions of tons of plastic waste which threaten the lives of hundreds of species. Plastic waste is non-biodegradable and known to increase carbon dioxide levels. These plastics remain in nature for 450 years and cause approximately 6 kg carbon dioxide emissions per kg of plastic. Plastic containers are also known to release carcinogenic materials when they are heated caused by Bisphenol-A, which is especially hazardous for food containers.
There are also government regulations on prohibition of petroleum-based plastics in Europe and some U.S. states. That is why the bioplastic market is growing at a significant rate. However, the majority of the bioplastics currently stem from starch (amylum) or corn-cobs, which are much more expensive than petroleum-based plastics are therefore not a viable solution for many countries.
Biolive produces 100% natural bioplastic granules made from olive seeds, in order to overcome environmental problems of plastic consumption, and to fulfil the deficiencies in the bio/plastic market. Our solution is cost-efficient, biodegradable and non-carcinogenic, through the use of 500,000 olive seeds, which is the amount of olive waste produced during the oil-extraction process in Turkey on an annual basis. Moreover, Biolive granules are biodegradable, compostable, recyclable, transparent and 90% more cost effective than existing bioplastics through utilizing the waste of olive oil companies. Some additional benefits of our solution:
- Antibacterial: it protects the hygienic property for a long time. It is not carcinogenic and provides a hygienically environment.
- Compatible with human health: Because it is completely natural, it is an edible bioplastic that has no harm to the human body.
- Biodegradable: It disappears in less than one year in nature because there are no plastic additives in it.
- Cost-effective: It is 90% more cost effective than existing bioplastics because it is made from olive waste.
Awards and Recognitions
- 1st Prize Winner in The Klosters Forum (TKF) Plastic Challenge in Switzerland.
Finalist in 76 West by NYSERDA in New York (still progress).
1st Prize Winner in Mercedes Benz in the Category of Start-up Social Benefit – 1st Prize Winner in Mercedes Benz in the Category of Start-up Social Benefit.
- 1st Prize Winner in Yildiz Technical University and StarCamp Silicon Valley Award.
- 1st Prize Winner in OİB (Automotive Exporters Association) Automotive R&D Project.
- 1st prize winner in Tubitak Woman Entrepreneurship (2016 & 2017).
- View more awards from 2019 and before on the Biolive website!
Markets and Scaling Ambitions:
- Current Markets: Our company has reached 20 customers in total in the last 12 months from all over the world and has worked in the production of more than 20 different products. Our some customers are CHOBANI, Mercedes-Benz, Vestel, Decathlon, Ford, SIG, Promodea, Bufy, Bio Elengance, IIC Packaging, Anadolu Group, Porsche, and others.
- Scaling Ambitions: Biolive seeks investment aiming to increase its production capacity.
Impact to Date
Below you will find some of the impact numbers of this venture to date.
Biolive product is
organic, antibacterial, vegan, antistatic and compostable, because they are recycled from natural olive waste.
Biolive is putting to use
of annual olive seed waste from Turkey, with the potential to utilize
6 million tons
from the rest of the world.
In the first two years of production
Biolive has secured
customers including Chobani, Mercedes-Benz, SIG Company, Vestel, and others.
Investors and Partners
We invite you to join us in Geneva, Switzerland to learn about this venture and the other ten 2019 Accelerate2030 global finalists. Please contact us to learn how you can engage with us.